Thursday, February 10, 2011

Fuckin' America

Since my last post was rather heavy handed emotionally, I figured that this week we could do something a little more lighthearted. I'm going to take a page from a longtime collaborator, friend, and musician of (I grudgingly admit) much ability, Andrew Fox. His blog, The Foxy Music, was set up so that he could share his back catalog of music with everyone. For the past month and a half, Andrew has been steadily releasing  a large amount of music, whether they be one offs, incredibly stupid/funny covers, demos, scratches, whatfuckinghaveyou, and it's a great way to connect with the artist.

Time to steal said concept.

I've learned that, as composers, what do we do to blow off steam? Besides drink ourselves into oblivion, we record really, REALLY stupid shit. I think it's time that this stupid shit gets shared with the world. Unfortunately, unlike Andrew I can't take requests for things because my workload is incredibly massive at the moment, not to mention that I'm still taking on projects, but I figured it takes maybe 10 minutes to upload a song to share. Why not do it?

Today's gem comes from first semester of sophomore year. Still in the thick of getting rid of Gen Ed requirements, I signed up for an American History class that one of our music professors taught, mainly because I knew that I could slack off and still get an A. Sue me. I had a lot of movies to score that year.

Anyway, at the end of the semester we were required to do something creative, whether it be paint a painting, bake something, music, visual, movie, yada fucking yada... so long as it showed our passions. I decided to team up with Leila Hegazy and Mara Dominowski, two fellow Studio Comp majors and longtime friends of mine. What happens when you get three overworked musicians in a room together to write?

Incredible awful music.

The music for this track was written in a day, the lyrics that night, we did basic vocal tracking the next day for like an hour (2 to 3 takes max) and the entire project was wrapped in less than 2 days. Caleb Foss signed on to do visuals, which I sadly don't have, and we presented to the class. Rather, Mara and Caleb did, since both Leila and I went home.

Supposedly it was a hit. Why, I don't know.

The best part of this whole experience? Vocal tracking. We first ran into problems when I couldn't get enough sound out of the microphone unless the girls got really close to it. Me, in my ever so perverted wisdom, devised this solution: pretend like you're giving the mic a blowjob. Mara got incredibly offended at me, of course, but Leila just shrugged it off and went for it. Not literally, of course, but you get the idea.

Getting the girls properly autotuned was somewhat of an issue too. They're both incredible singers. Like, seriously good. Why they wanted to be autotuned was beyond me. The autotune wasn't catching their voices because they were too on pitch for it to be jumpy, so they decided to riff the hell out of EVERY SINGLE VOCAL LINE that they sang. Which they seemed to enjoy immensely, being from Staten Island and all.

So, at the end of the day, you get what you see below.

America The Bastardized

It'll be up for download for the duration of this little releaseage I'm doing. After that, this fucker's comin' DOWN. Can't have it on my professional Soundcloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment